Friday, January 11, 2008

Images Bookish

I have been more active with the pencil lately but not so much with the scanner so these are a little old to the world wide web but I'm sure none of you have been to the website where they were originally posted.

Oddly enough I feel rather limited, or should I say guided by the sketches I've been doing. When I draw something, which is almost always random production, I feel the responsibility to present it in the story somehow. So now we know that Yaoteh and Bajie's second oldest brother dies, or is killed rather, but who is that old man you say. Well he could be a representative of some crime syndicate, or perhaps one of seven Lords of the Sabre, maybe Huang Erge owed them money. It's up to me I suppose, but what I don't choose is whether or not he dies. Whoop dere it is.

I hated the figure in the middle when I first drew this because he was...well ugly, and slightly feminine looking. I left it untouched for a while. Then my smarmy streak kicked in and I felt disabused by my own willingness to admit defeat. I decided I could make something out of it and so I did. It turned out to be Rui as a young lad and this picture ended up sparking a plot line for the prologue.

And finally just some worthless profile of Huang Yaoteh. Somehow this character came out looking like Dustin Dowdle. Perhaps that has something to do with the main character been based on myself and since Huang is his childhood friend the translation makes sense. Although I have sought to distance myself from the characters so it doesn't turn into me using Kungfu to solve all my real-world problems and having romantic interests with fictional women who are still out of my league. So I suppose it would be more accurate to say that the characters are inspired by my own experience but I think most people's characters are.

1 comment:

NDA said...

The lower portion of those "slices" should gape just a bit more, eh?