Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A New Balance

What is this unexplainable attachment to New Balance shoes? They stand as the default shoe for the classless. If it is your desire to make absolutely no social statement except "I have nothing to say about anything important," by all means please wear New Balance track shoes, or any other form of active footwear, every single day. No, seriously go ahead. Though you did not just come from the gym you should feel no shame in stepping outside your home looking like you have no idea where you are going today. The fact that you are not extremely active should not dissuade you from dressing like you are; if you were even remotely active you wouldn't wear our your exercise shoes by wearing them for every and all occasions, but thankfully you have the wit and wisdom necessary to make one of your pairs of shoes your "one" pair of shoes. When you have finally decided that you need only meet the minimal requirement to "covering your nakedness"you will be nearing the realm of what we now call "New Balance". What you will need to continue on your quest for unremarkable social representation is a sturdy pair of khaki slacks; preferably with a good amount of useless and non-functional pockets and zippers.
Now that we have made it to your waist we suggest that you forgo the belt altogether; you don't need this accessory unless you can find one that is just as dressy as your shoes are trash casual. There exists an embarrassing amount of polo shirts in varying designs and hues, available to cover the trunk of flesh that is your torso. Do not concern yourself with the cut or fit, there is no such thing, and men with large and small bellies look equally ridiculous wearing them. If fortune has smiled upon you and you find the majority of your body covered with some form or other of textile, we suggest--as an absolute must-- a clean shaved face with prominent sideburns that stop at the exact bottom of your ear. Little attention should be paid to hairstyle as the current state of your attire now completely detracts from your overall visage. So you've made it, you have accomplished the absolutely probable, the statistically inevitable; you have clothed yourself using the least amount of effort in such a way that will occasion the least amount of comment on your person. You may now feel free to slip unannounced and unnoticed into the milling crowds of similarly unremarkable people.

ps Shame on you

12 comments:

just a little bit mo said...

Yeah, you don't know me. I just found your blog through John's site. I totally agree with everything in this post and now want to forward it to so many of my near and dear that have succumbed to the "New Balance" hayride.

JM Hurst said...

sure, you both can just make fun of the way I dress all day long. I will not change

Ryan said...

It is as it should be. I might just start a group and call it Burning Trash Casual:The Quest to Save BYU.

Also:

I do know you. I met you once and John talks about you all the time

T.Douglas Robbins Esq. said...

Hey, wait a second... I have sideburns to the bottom of my ears. And sometimes I have to wear khakis... You suck.

Of course I happen to have Gola shoes (from the UK) that have lasted me for near a decade. Sturdy effing shoes.

Emily: said...

Ryan: you are unabashedly correct about these things.
Oh, the people you could offend by posting this 'round campus.

Ryan said...

How would I go about doing such a thing?

Michelle said...

I hate this entry. What is wrong with being unnoticed? Why must you draw attention to yourself through clothing? Pretenious little man. And another reason for your pretension: You make me leave this comment as a blogger and not as an anonymous comment. So much pretension.

Michelle said...

Scratch that, a pretenious little man with nice shoes.

John said...

(Insert clapping sounds here) Well said...

Ryan said...

Miss Michelle:

Nowhere in this entry, as you call it, did I ever say that wearing clothes other that those mentioned will get you noticed or give your life worth. Clothing is just clothing; it's the theory, intent or purpose behind the wearing of it that was being commented on.

Also:

Do I know you? Have you met me? Or did you just read an entry on a blog I posted on the internet? I'm not sure how that gives you carte blanche to go about insulting people. From your own "blog" you seem to care more about clothing than you'd like to admit.It was a lark Suze.

Nevertheless I stand by my opinions and apologize only if you took this as a personal attack. I'm sorry you inferred so much.

T.Douglas Robbins Esq. said...

Ryan my khakis feel really good upon the curvature of my bottom bum. There are many who love my bum. One in particular happens to have female. Wait, she is my fiance (forgive the lack of knowledge to make the "e" accented).

Muah world!

Amy said...

I would like to say that you and the people who know you all rock. (I still wear flip-flops, though.)